Breakfast can be tricky one, you either love it or hate it. I tend to have a love/hate relationship with it. I often go through phases of not knowing what to have or I just get bored of having the same thing. Having said that, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Not only does it give you the energy needed for the day ahead but it can also lead to how healthy or unhealthy you will eat for the rest of the day. It also improves performance and concentration levels as well as kicking off the metabolism. I love eggs so I try to vary how I cook them. I use coconut oil when cooking an omelette and I usually add some avocado, chicken and cottage cheese. I don't add butter to my scrambled eggs, its a bad habit people have and without the butter it tastes just as good. I sometimes poach mainly just to see if I have actually got the hang of it (usually never happens, sad face) but when I am just not in the mood for eggs I would have one of the alternative options below. Get it right first thing in the morning and your waist line will love you :)
Healthy Breakfast Options:
- 3 Egg Omelette - Add some chicken, avocado, cottage cheese (high protein, good fats)
- Plain Greek Yoghurt - Add some low sugar granola (Lizi's), berries, Honey (high grade), chia seeds.
- Nutribullet Smoothie - berries, nuts, greek yoghurt, fruit, spinach, greens..the list is endless, you decide :)
- Granola - (Lizi's Low Sugar is the best I have come across) Add greek yoghurt, blueberries.
- Egg Muffins - 3 Eggs - Add any ingredients you like, ie. spinach, peppers, onion (20 mins until cooked in pre heated oven at 180*)
- Bullet Proof Coffee (For those who need something quick) 100% arabica coffee, Mct oil, unsalted butter, blend and enjoy (a personal fav) ref: www.bulletproofexec.com
- Porridge - Add top high fibre porridge oats, add plain greek yoghurt for extra creaminess, berries (frozen save money)
- Avocado & Strawberry Smoothie - Add honey, plain greek yoghurt
I am not a nutritionist but these are just some of the healthy recipes I add to my daily breakfast meal. Lets focus on the goodness here and make breakfast a love relationship. If you have any healthy recipes that you love please feel free to comment and let me know. Happy healthy eating everyone :)