As a trainer I always get asked for the best exercises to tone up the “bingo wings” and other areas of the upper body. This is a question I really like to answer as there are many ways to do so with dedication and a big effort to commit to a fitness regime. It is really important to focus on good technique when doing these movements so I have given a good description on how to do each exercise. All the movements here feature on videos on my Instagram and YouTube account so feel free to check them out.
Always warm up before any form of exercise. I recommend some jumping jacks, swinging the arms clock wise and anti- clock wise with some light stretches. Alternatively go for a light jog if you fancy getting some fresh air. Each individual is different so always listen to your body and ask a professional for advice if you have any concerns.
On my YouTube channel and Instagram account @Laura_BodyZone I have combined many different exercises into home workouts that you can do in your living room on a exercise mat. I like to mix my workouts up so I do bodyweight and also workouts using a light kettlebell or dumbbell. This week’s workout will be a bodyweight workout (no weights needed) working on toning your upper body. So really there is no excuse not to take out a minimum of 30 minutes per day when you can do the workouts at home. Not only is exercise so important to your health but it is also proven to improve your mental health also. So get up and get active
Week 1 : Upper Body Workout
5 Rounds with 30-60 Seconds Rest Between Sets:
1. Scaled Push Up X 15-20 Reps ( Triceps & Shoulders)
· In a kneeling position place your hands under but slightly outside of your shoulders. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
· As you lower yourself, tuck in your elbows pulling them close to your body so that your upper arms form a 45 degrees angle when your torso is in the bottom position of the move. Pause, then push back to the starting position fast. Keep your core braced throughout the exercise. (see image 1)
2. Tricep Dip X 15-20 Reps (Triceps & Shoulders)
· Using a bench, chair or step as long as it is stable and secure to take your body weight.
· Hands should be shoulder width apart fingers facing forward and elbows pointing backwards with a slight bend in the elbows.
· Legs extended out straight for advanced people or bent for beginners with a slight bend in the knee.
· Slowly lower your body until your shoulder joints are below your elbows.
· Push back up until your elbows are nearly straight but do not lock them out. (see image2)
3. Shoulder Taps X 10 each Arm ( Shoulders, Arms, Core, Glutes )
This exercise is great as it is a full body exercise (Score)
· In a high plank position, engage your core, legs & glutes. Ensure your hands are directly under your shoulders to avoid any injury.
· From this position lift one hand to tap the opposite shoulder, while keeping your whole body nice and tight.
· Keep breathing throughout all exercises.
· This is a real burn on the core so do as many reps as you can, take a break if needed and then finish off the set. (see pic for details)
So I hope you enjoy this upper body strengthening and toning workout. It may sound easy but it will definitely challenge your strength. Its ok to stop and take a break when needed but dig deep and focus on good movement and getting through all the reps. Here is a recap of how the workouts goes.
3 exercises for 5 rounds with 30-60 seconds rest between sets. Don’t forget to cool down after with some light stretches. It is normal to feel sore the day after doing new movements but that’s what they say “ No pain, no gain”. I look forward to sharing more workouts with you all and please check out and follow my Instagram @Laura_BodyZone and YouTube channel for more fitness and health tips and videos. Strong is the new Skinny ;)
Happy training, Laura x