It's hard not to obsess over certain body parts while browsing through instagram on a Monday morning. Girls from all over the world flaunting their washboard abs and toned and tight bums, but who is to say you can't be the girl that everyone is ogling over. As a trainer a separate concern for female clients when they are looking to grow the gluteus maximus is not to bulk up on their legs. Most women like to train compound exercises like back squat and deadlift for overall strengthening of the lower body but these movements do not necessarily isolate the gluteus maximus. Although they will help to tone the glutes they will most definitely build the legs too as compound exercises like these will target the lower body as a whole. Persistence and consistency is key, mixed with a good diet and cutting out junk food. You need to give 100% focus on diet and training to reach optimal level.
Benefits of strengthening your glutes:
Your glutes are the largest and strongest muscles in your body. They consist of three different muscles: gluteus minimus, medius and maximus. The three muscles work together to abduct, rotate and extend the hip. Strengthening your glutes can help improve posture and make sitting down, standing, picking up heavy objects and climbing stairs easier. Developing strong glutes can also improve athletic performance and decrease your risk for injuries in the knees, lower back, hamstrings & groin and of course make you look great in the lbd (little black dress).
You need to dedicated time to work on these exercises at least 3 times a week mixed with metabolic conditioning. Always ask a trainer if you are unsure how to execute the exercises correctly. Noticeable changes will happen within a few weeks if you stick to a programme and watch your diet. You gotta hustle for the muscle.
Booty Building Exercises - 4 Rounds
- Resistance band Clams - they cost next to nothing and most gym have them for you to use. Place the resistance band around your knees. Lay down with your knees pointed forward and bent at a 90 degree angle. Lift your top knee upwards 8-12 inches, foot stays in place against the bottom foot. Lower your knee back down to the bottom knee. This completes one repetition. Repeat for 12-15 repetitions and then switch to the other side of your body and repeat the motion.
- Resistance band - Glute Bridge- helps to isolate the glutes. There are a few variations of this movement but all are good. Place the band just above the knees. Ensure to squeeze the glutes at the top of the movement and turn the knees outwards to ensure activation. Hold at the top of the exercise for 3- 5 seconds then lower back down and repeat by 12 - 15 repetitions
- Kneeling Glute Kicks- In a plank position kneel down on one knee and extend the other leg. Kick up and squeeze the bum at the top. This exercise targets the gluteus minimus. (Add ankle weights for extra burn) 12- 15 repetitions per legs
- Elevated Treadmill - Put the incline up high and the speed at a controlled walk for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Use your arms to aid you and be aware of squeezing your glutes on each step. This is also a great fat burner. Walk with light dumbbells for extra resistance and challenge.
- Fire Hydrants - Position yourself on all fours with shoulders wide apart and palms flat.
Keep your knees, hip wide apart and bend them at a 90-degrees angle. Keep your back straight, raise your right thigh and bring it close to your chest as much as you can. Then raise the same thigh out to the side by keeping the hips still. Now, kick your raised leg slowly in the backward position. Use a band to add resistance. 12 - 15 repetitions per exercise.
See full video of these exercises below.
So there you have my top booty building exercises. Feel free to contact me with any questions & tag me in your booty gain pictures #laurabodyzone (instagram @laura_bodyzone)
Don't forget to check out my YouTube channel a whole range of booty & full body workouts.