So it is that time of the year again. Summer is slowly coming to an end and college is looming. Whether you are an active or kinda active person we all know that college deadlines can mean that our exercise may suffer. But it is vital to remember that in order to keep your sanity during the long winter months exercise and healthy food choices will be your holy grail on keeping a clear mind. Also as the saying goes "summer bodies are made in the winter" so preperation for next summer's bikini doesn't have to be last minute dot com come next May ;)
I have been there before, I spent 5 years in college and although I myself have fallen off the bandwagon it's important not to be so hard on yourself and that exercise should become part of your routine and not a chore.
- Food prep: it saves money and keeps you on track. It is very easy to just go to the canteen and get a roll each day but this wont do your waist line any favours or your mood. Clean eating is vital for your body & mind. Make a large pot of vegetable soup & heat it up in college, or chicken breasts with brown rice. The internet is full of easy wholesome recipes that can be used for food preparation each week.
- Join the college gym: it is usually allot cheaper than your average gym so invest in your health
- Schedule your gym session into your timetable. That 2 hour period you have off twice a week, use it for a 30 minute sweat session instead of dosing around.
- Even doing 10 or 15 minutes of a super-intense workout, like sprints on the treadmill, is a great place to start if you don't have enough time #noexcuses
- If you have readings to do, do it on the exercise bike. Kill two birds with one stone ;)
- Try one of my at home bodyweight workouts. Get up that few minutes earlier and start moving. You will be full of energy for the day and you won't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, cut out the fizzy drinks.
- Swap the mars bar for a protein bar or better still make some protein balls that will last you a few days at home. So many accessible recipes online.
- Invest in a skipping rope. They are so cheap and if the gym is just not for you then get skipping mixed with some squats and lunges. Awesome!!
- Take study breaks and get some fresh air by taking a brisk walk, you will come back refreshed with more energy.
- Invest in vitamins, I take vitamin C, vitamin B12, omega 3 & magnesium. Always ask your doctor first what is right for you personally.
- Get enough sleep, nothing worse than having a bad routine at night time. Read a book instead of looking through Instagram. The less light the better in order for the body to wind down.
Remember that being your own motivation is the best kind of self gratification. Set yourself small goals and try your best to stick to them and if you fall off the bandwagon it's ok, just acknowledge why and pick yourself back up. We are all human after all so don't be so hard on yourself. Anything is possible so best of luck with the college year ahead :)