While its coming into summer here in Cape Town, I am know that I have a lot of followers from back home in Ireland and of course across the Western Hemisphere. So that is why I love to stay in check with you guys and offer my best tips. Know matter what the season you should alway try to keep fitness a top priority. Yes the days are shorter, colder and wetter but making some realistic changes will help
My Top 6 Tips
1. Water - Keep your water intake the same as summer, at least 1-2 litres a day. While the temperature has drastically dropped don't slack on your water intake. Hydration is key for the body to perform at its full ability.
2. Run - If you were fond of running alone after work then its probably safer to join a running club or get a group to run with. The dark/wet evenings are not ideal for running alone so get some buddies to run with you. Always wear a hi vis top so you can be seen properly.
3. Vitamin C - up your daily dosage of vitamin C to avoid any nasty colds and flus. Or or flu fighting vitamins like echinacea drops in a small glass of water.
4. Workouts - too cold to hit the gym? No excuse! Do your workout at home, my website offers a range of bodyweight workouts so why start doing them :)
5. Food - meal prep could be your saviour during the winter months as its very easy to reach for the warm toasted cheese sandwich at lunch. So prepping your lunch the night before is key.
6. Clothing - change of climate means extra layers. Invest in some good thermal training gear. The last thing you want is a cold for not being warm enough. You can always take layers off but always start with plenty of layers on.
Don't dread fitness in the winter, make small changes and allow it to be apart of your routine.