Summer is just around the corner and if your fitness regime hasn't exactly gone to plan over the last few months it's not too late to start making some changes. Life can get in the way of exercise, whether it's work related or family related, but that doesn't mean you need to neglect all areas of health. Here are my top tips for you to add into your life now.
- Cut the crap - stop eating sugary snacks, just stop. I know what it is like to have a serious sweet tooth but genuinely you will feel so much better for saying no. Keep an apple in your bag every day also nuts & seeds. Protein balls are sold in almost every coffee shop I go to so swap the muffin for a protein ball on your coffee break.
- Water, water, water - up your water intake and cut out sugary drinks. Your skin will thank you and so will your waistline. Save yourself from unnecessary empty calories.
- Hangover food - cut back on the cheat days and hangover cravings. Lets be honest with ourselves, if you haven't been hitting the gym but hitting the dancefloor at the weekends whilst over indulging on alcoholic beverages then technically you are not eligible for a cheat day. Instead opt for scrambled eggs, avocado and bacon. Yum!
- Go easy on yourself - life happens and although your intentions may have been to exercise 5 days a week and that just didnt happens for whatever reasons, don't dwell on it. Move forward with a positive attitude and make healthier changes going forward. Leave the past behind.
- Do not diet - I am a firm believer that you can have everything in moderation once you are exercising at a good level at least 3-4 days a week. One thing I am not a firm believer in is dieting. There are no quick fixes but if you implement the points above you will start to see changes. Dieting only tricks the body and mind for a short period and usually ends up in weight gain when you fall off the bandwagon.
Its never too late to make healthy changes,