Happy new year again to you all. We are 9 days into 2017 and sometimes its better to give yourself a weeks grace before you start giving yourself a hard time about all the new year, new me stuff. As I am living in Cape Town and its the middle of the summer here, almost every second day since new years eve there has been a party on and hell no I wasn't going to miss them. So what I am trying to say is that I didnt start new years day sweating it out at the gym, I was happily dancing away at a PACHA party with a drink in hand loving life. I don't believe in starting out a new year being hard yourself. Of course to my northern hemisphere followers, you did not have 30 degree heat on new years day so I do understand if the 1st of January was your new year, new me day and that is cool, fair play to you. But for those of you who were wrecked tired and still reaching for the chocolate left overs that's ok too. Its now the 9th of Jan, its a Monday so lets all pull our s**t together and make a plan. A realistic plan, a plan that you want to do and a plan that will ultimately make you happy. I woke up this morning with a slight bit of fear about the year ahead in terms of my fitness goals personally and work wise, but I also woke up with a sense of pride because I booked my first commercial modelling job of the year (not bad for 9 days in) so every small personal achievement should push you to want more and know that you are capable of anything you want. We all have fears and most of us will experience anxiety at some point in our lives but it is how we deal with it is most important. Talking to someone you trust is good but exercise can really help you get a clear mind and vision to what is important.
So let's get back to what I really came on here to talk about. My top fitness tips. My aim in the paragraph above is to let you know that if your self motivation towards exercise hasn't exactly been firing for the last week than that is ok because neither has mine but today is a new day and a new week so lets start together. Its never too late to start, just because you missed the first day of the month to start does not mean you have missed the boat. We are all human, life happens so find the time to make small healthy changes.
My top fitness tips:
- Bodyweight training - Bodyweight training helps increase lean muscle mass in individuals, especially when combined with aerobic activity. It is a big fitness trend for 2017 and although it has always been there right in front of us it is a simple but very effective way to workout and guess what? Its doesnt cost you anything. You literally need your body and some space. So tell me this, where is the excuse now?
- Slow & Steady - this is the pace you should go at. If you were all buzzed up on the 1st jan and trained every day last week then you are probably feeling pretty tired this week. So that is why your goals should be at a steady pace and dont feel you have to try every fitness class out in the first month of the year. The risk you run is burning yourself out and getting sick. So please take it at a good slow & steady pace.
- Fitness tracking watches - I find mine very motivating and they help keep track of your sleep pattern, calories, steps, heart rate, millage. Pretty cool.
- Personal training - is a great way to really learn from a fitness professional who is educated in the areas you may struggle with. Working with a personal trainer can also help change your attitude about training and your outlook on being physically active.
- Recovery - rest and recovery is essential in order for your body to adapt and muscles to grow. Self-myofascial release is a term for self-massage to release muscle tightness or trigger points. This can be performed with a foam roller, lacrosse ball. By foam rolling specific muscles on your body you are able to aid in the recovery of muscles and assist in returning them to normal function. Normal function means your muscles are elastic, healthy, and ready to perform at a moment’s notice. This is also know as active recovery, so on your "day off" dont sit around feeling stiff and sore, get up and get foam rolling.
- Cut out the alcohol - I always try my best to practice what I preach and although its hasn't been a dry January for me I am going to try my best for the foreseeable of the month (until my birthday in 2 weeks) because alcohol can really be detrimental to seeing results and also to performance. There is also a high sugar content in most alcoholic beverages and that doesnt help play a good role to your mid line. If you are going to have a drink, keep it clear like a vodka, soda fresh lime. While you are at it, really cut back on sugary drinks and sugar in general. (note to my inner sweet tooth)
I hope you enjoyed my first blog of 2017, please don't hesiate to contact me on email@example.com